I love adding splashes of color around the house and that usually means making pillow covers.
This is a very simple way of making a pillow cover that would go over a new pillow insert or an old pillow you don't like anymore. The zipper makes the insert easily removable to wash the cover or simply put on another one, say, for a different season.
Step 1: You Will Need
- a pillow insert
- a ruler
- a zipper (I used an invisible zipper)
- scissors or a rotary cutter
- a sewing machine (this could also be done by hand with more time).
Step 2: Measure and Cut Fabric + Zipper
Plan on 1/4" seams, which means you will need 1/2" more than your pillow measurements.
I cut 2 panels (which means if you wanted to, you could use 2 different fabrics!).
Cut your zipper with and extra inch on either end. I decided to put the zipper on the long end of my pillow.
Step 3: Pin and Sew 3 Sides
Right sides facing each other, pin the 3 sides that will NOT have the zipper.
Sew, rounding the corners a bit (this helps avoid the pillow to look like it has horns when we stuff it).
Step 4: Add the Zipper
Some people like sewing the zipper first, I do it both ways.
- sew shut the ends of your zipper (unless you had a full zipper to begin with, mine came from a roll I had to cut).
- turn your pillow cover right side out.
- pin one side of the zipper.
- using a zipper foot, sew on the first side.
- repeat with the second side, being careful that the zipper will not be crooked.
Step 5: Stuff and Enjoy!
Chop off your threads and stuff that pillow. Your done!