In this instructable i will show you how to make a simple marionette style puppet using polymer clay.
Once you get the hang of this technique it's a great step towards making your own unique characters.
Step 1: Tools and materials
A baking tray (one that you will no longer be using for food preparation)
A small drill
A tooth pick
something to cut the clay with (a plastic butter knife will do)
A sheet of tracing paper or grease proof paper (this is only a precautionary measure to stop the polymer clay sticking to your work surface)
Scissors (not pictured, sorry)
and an oven (also not picture because ours could do with a clean
polymer clay (the amount is totally up to you and the size of the puppet you wish to make)
String (i prefer to use jewelry cord)
2 lollipop sticks
Step 2: Lollipop sticks
Step 3: Cut up your clay
- 4 small bits (hands and feet)
- 8 longer bits (arms and legs)
- 2 larger fater bits (head and hips)
- 1 large bit (body)
arrange them out like a body remembering to leave a small gap between each piece
Note: you don't need to be neat here as in the next step you will be working on the clay some more
Step 4: Measure it out and string it up
- A length that reaches from hand to hand and add a bit extra
- A length that reaches from the foot to the hip, double that and add a bit extra
- A length that reaches from the hip to the head and add an extra 6 inches or so.
Now tie a knot at both ends of the string for the arms and legs and at one end of the hip/body/head length.
Now working the sting into the puppet making sure to leave those gaps.