Step 2: Preparing the Potatoes
1. Wash the potatoes under warm water and scrub with an abrasive surface to remove grime and debris.
2. take the knife or potato peeler and skin the potatoes.
Tip - Use of a straight edged knife is recommended for this step, as a serrated blade will cause difficulty in cutting and may result in injury.
Warning! - Handling a knife or peeler can be dangerous. Always make sure your fingers are not in the path of the knife and cut away from yourself.
3. discard the potato skins.
4. On the cutting surface, take each potato and cut into small, bite sized chunks no more than 1inch square.
Caution - Make special care to cut the potato chunks into consistently sized pieces. Having very large pieces and very small pieces will cause the small pieces to burn and the large pieces to not cook thoroughly during the boiling step, resulting in an uneatable dish.
5. Take the potato pieces and place into the large pot.
6. Submerge the potato pieces in water completely.
7. Bring the pot to a boil.
8. Let potatoes cook until tender all the way through.
This step usually takes 10 to 15 minutes with 2 potatoes. Continue reading and perhaps start on the next step while you wait.
9. Drain the water from the pot, leaving only the potatoes.