Check out the Internet Your Thing WiFi version on Kickstarter - it will be able to open your garage door or open a pet kennel door as you approach.
A few months ago, I created an Instructable that showed you how to bluetooth enable your garage door, car starter, and other myriad things. I have expanded on that design to now make it even easier for you to bluetooth enable devices and control them from your phone / tablet. No soldering is required for this Instructable. All you need is the Daisy Bluetooth Multi-Thing Controller, a screwdriver, and about 15 minutes.
The controller includes four control switches and screw terminals on the board.
It works with the same free Daisy On/Off Android application which allows dynamically creating multiple buttons with custom labels and behavior to easily control various things that have been Bluetooth enabled.
As always, there are risks associated with modifying and wireless control of any equipment. You assume full responsibility and risks related to your use of this information.
- Bluetooth Controller - includes USB power adapter, cable, and case
- Wire for connection - old phone cable works well
- Phillips screwdriver
- Knife or wire cutters/strippers to cut and strip wire
- The Bluetooth controller supports up to a 20 character alpha-numeric pin code for security.
- Apple 'i' products have restricted Bluetooth and aren't supported by the Bluetooth controller. Apple 'i' products could proxy communication through a PC with Bluetooth, but that requires additional effort not covered in this howto.