Introduction: Single Pan, Fried Breakfast Taquito
Alright, you got a hunger that just can’t be contained!
You have 15 minutes, but only one clean pan!
What do you do?
Well if you have a few ingredients you can make yourself some quick, easy, hot, breakfast taquitos.
I hear what you are thinking, “JokerDAS, what is a taquito?” Well, a taquito is a rolled up soft shell taco that is then fried. In this case, it will be filled with breakfast ingredients and pan fried instead of deep fried.
“Sounds tasty!” you say.
Oh, yeah! It is tasty!
Step 1: Gather It Up!
Here is what you will need to craft this creative, culinary concoction!
- 2- Eggs (or however many you want, depending on your particular hunger)
- Diced ham – (Strips of lunchmeat ham can be used if diced ham is not available. Yes, Sausage and/or bacon would be just as delicious.)
- Shredded cheese
- 2- Tortilla (again, depending on your hunger. But one tortilla per egg used.)
- Salt/Pepper – optional
- Lid that would fit pan
- Non-stick spray (if pan is not non-stick)
- 2- toothpicks (or one toothpick per tortilla used)
Step 2: Heat It Up!
You just amassed the items needed for this appetizing amalgamation of awesomeness.
- Place pan on stove burner over medium heat.
- Coat the pan with non-stick spray if necessary.
- Add handful of diced ham to pan.
- Cook for about 2 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Crack and add eggs to ham in the pan. Do not stir right away.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- After about 1 minute scramble eggs and ham.
- Continue to cook and stir eggs/ham mix for additional 2 minutes or until eggs are fully cooked.
Step 3: Cheese It Up!
While the ham and egg mix is melding magically:
- Lay out the tortillas.
- Add a row of cheese along the diameter of the tortilla.
Step 4: Dress It Up!
When the ham/eggs are done, it is time to dress the delicious duo!
- Scoop half the ham/egg scramble onto each tortilla over the cheese.
- Replace the pan on the burner, but reduce the heat to medium low.
- Recoat with cooking spray if necessary.
- Roll the tortilla by pulling both sides up to the middle.
- Use the toothpick to hold the sides together.
Step 5: Heat It Up!
With the refined, rolled rations:
- Place the rolled-up tortillas with the ham/egg/cheese back on the warm pan.
- Cover with the lid.
- Cook for about 2 minutes
- Remove lid and flip the taquitos over. Push the toothpick through so the folded part lays flat.
- Cover and cook another 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and turn off the stove.
Step 6: EAT IT UP!
Finish off the flavorsome fare!
Remove your taquitos from the pan and add to your plate.
The whole prep and cook time was less than 15 minutes, and with minimal cleanup necessary.
Now you have a delicious hot breakfast!
"But, JokerDAS, do I have to have this only for breakfast?" you inquire.
To which, I reply, "Why... no! Of course not! You, you culinary craftsman, can enjoy this little meal ANY time of day or night!"
Runner Up in the
One Pot Meals Challenge