I intend to have a trip along Canal du Midi during the summer for at least 3 days with friends of mine and using backpacks or racks did not seem to be very pratictal. The idea of a trailer in which you can easily put the tent mattress and any stuff you want came to me.
Step 1: 1 or 2 wheels ?
As the road will be a single track for many kilometers, a single wheel trailer seemed to be the best solution.
I discovered two main trailer constructors:
- Bob (http://www.bobgear.com/ )
- Aevon (http://www.aevon-trailers.com/)
These constructors use different fixing solutions. Bob trailers use rear axle fixation whereas Aevon ones use seat tube solution.
I decided to make a trailer as similar as possible to the Aevon trailer.
Step 2: Material collection
- 8 meters of 1cm square steel tube (less than 1kg per meter)
- 2 meters of 2,2 cm square steel tube
- 0.5L of shiny black paint
- 2 “heavy duty” axles
- a 16” wheel
- 1 forch from a 16” bike with its mudguard
- 2 meters of used round tubes (old badminton poles)
- Steel offcuts
Total cost : 30€
Step 3: Central section assembly
- Bottom part of 78 cm
- Front part of 44 cm
- First part of the shaft of 35 cm
- Second part of the shaft of 42 cm