Introduction: Slate Coasters
This is a super cheap, super easy project that results in a super cool product :)
Slate £ free (offcuts, speak to your local roofer)
Foam 75p per A4 sheet (most art / craft shops)
Total = 50p per pack of 4 tiles....... that's 12.5p per tile!!!!!
Step 1: Mark Out Slate
Use a ruler and a stick of chalk to mark your coaster
Step 2: Cut Slate
Old School Method
- Get a machete or thin strip of steel (2-3mm thick)
- Place the tile on a flat surface with a straight edge
- Smash the hell out of it :) (see video)
This is the best way of cutting but is also the most difficult, check out my 'rage quit' when i break my coaster :(
- Use a diamond blade in an angle grinder
- Cut tile
- Get a wet blade tile cutter
- Cut tile
Step 3: Cut Foam to Size
Use scissors to cut a square of foam just smaller than the slate.
Step 4: Glueing the Foam
- Pre heat the slate in the oven, just warm it to 400C. If you don't the hot melt glue quickly solidifies against the cold slate
- Remove from oven and neatly create a square of glue on the slate
- Turn the coaster the right way up and squish the foam onto the slate and glue.