Introduction: Slender Man and Woodland Shadow Creatures Cookies
I'm back with another simple yet eerie treat for you guys. I'm going to a pre halloween party tonight and there will be a candy buffet and I figured it would be nice to bring something that was fairly easy to make and wouldn't cost me a fortune, so i gathered my ingredients and the whole thing rang up to roughly 20$ (I had a good portion of the stuff here at home) So today we're making Slender Man Cookies, HEY-O! Here's what you need:
Step 1: Gathering Mat'l
- 2 Packs of sugar cookie mix (3$ each) (you can go ahead and make your own if you want i just figured id save myself some time by getting the premixed ones, they are really easy to make, seriously)
- 2 eggs - Flour about 2 cups (used for thickening up the dough and rolling it on the counter to prevent sticking)
- Black food colouring (found in bulk stores) like 2 or 3$ (i had mine already)
- Vibrant red icing or gel for baking ( I used the gel) (2$) (make sure it has a fine tip for detailing the eyes and ties)
- Stick of butter (4$)
- Nonstick spray or that butter you just bought (see above) ;)
*Note these ingredients will vary according to wether you're making these from scratch or in mix packs (including icing)
- Various cookie cutter shapes (for the slender man i used the gingerbread man cutout, for the rest of them they were bought are various stores, I'm sure they aren't the hard to find. The woodland critters were bought by my girlfriend at Ikea in one pack.)
- Mixing bowl
- Set of measuring cups and measuring spoons
- Rolling pin (or rolling pin looking device, use your imagination)
- Baking sheets and a cooling rack (i had these things already I'm sure the vintage store has them for cheap)
- Scrapper or thin flipper (for handling the cookies without distorting them... you'll see what i mean later)
Let's do this!
Step 2: Math!
Before anything gets measured out make sure you clean and disinfect your equipment, counter space and hands (who knows if the person prior to you had some raw chicken sitting on the counter, Peanut butter, etc.)
So measure out your ingredients and mix everything together with a spoon at first then stick your grubs in there and KNEAD!!
*Note these mixes are made for scoops of dough, not cutouts. For cutouts they say to use less butter and add a little bit of flour until dough isn't as soft and runny. Just read the instructions and you'll be fine, trust me.
Also, for easy measurement of the butter use the scale that's on the wrapping (ex.: If it calls for 2/3 of a cup split the 1 cup bar in three sections and add 2 of those pieces) yay math!
Step 3: The Dough
Once everything is nice and even, take 1 cup of the dough and set it aside (those will be used for the Slender man heads)
Add 1 teaspoon of black food colouring to the rest of the dough and knead again until the black is uniform
*Note to help prevent sticking, sprinkle flour on counter prior to kneading
Wrap individually in plastic wrap or baggies put in fridge or freezer and let chill for about an hour. (You can go chill and have a beer too)
The reason being is that the dough is a lot easier to handle when it's cold, especially when making cutouts. (it will hold the shape better and stick less.
Step 4: Cutouts
Ok so now that you got the dough all chilled and sh*t you'll need to work fast because the dough will slowly start softening up and stick to the counter and everything is gonna suck hardcore. (if it does get too soft stick it back in the fridge or freezer for a bit)
Now's a good time to set the oven at 375F. I'tll heat up while you do the other stuff.
At this point you won't need the white dough right away so leave it chillin'. Take out the black one and roll it out on the floured counter to about 1/4 of an inch thick and make your Slender men first ( i made 7 but could have made 10 with the white dough i put aside) make critters with the rest of the rolled out dough. Cut off the heads of the men (i used a leaf cutter and made a vneck cutout on the body for the suite.)
Add the cutouts to a plate or large pan before they get too soft then put them back in the fridge. (that's where that scrapper or flipper comes in handy)
Now wash the counter, cutters and rolling pin to avoid cross contamination of the black and white coloured dough.
Roll out the white dough a little thinner about 3/16th of an inch and cut out the top side of the men (reverse of what you did for the black ones.) Join the whites with the blacks :) and let them chill for a bit.
Step 5: Now Stick It In
On a greased pan or baking sheet set the cutouts about an inch apart (they will expand) and let these puppies bake for about 6 or 7 minutes.
I had 3 batches bake separately.
*Note it is better that you undercook them a little because they will harden up regardless when they cool down and they will be a lot softer, that's what we want.
Take them out and let them cool for a bit, then transfer to cooling rack, let em cool enough before adding the icing. 30 Minutes should be plenty.
Step 6: The Icing on the Cake
Now with the red icing or gel add eyes to your creatures and ties to all your Slender men!
Enjoy thems :D
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.