Design Brief: Create an oyster costume using cardboard and slotted construction.
Specifications:-Costume must resemble an oyster
-Costume must stay together
-Costume must be made of cardboard
1. Slotted Construction
Step 1: Materials and Tool List
S1. CARDBOARD- 3 4'x4' pieces
Tool and Equipment List:
T1. CUTTING MAT-To prevent damage to floor/surface
T2. UTILITY KNIFE-To cut out pieces of cardboard
T3. RULER-To make straight lines and measure out correct lengths of pieces
T4. PENCIL-To draw out lines that you will cut along
Step 2: Part List
P1. Front Panel, Quantity: 1
P2. Back Panel, Quantity: 1
P3. Top Connector, Quantity: 1
P4. Side Connector, Quantity: 2
Step 3: Creating Part 1
1. Draw out front panel on cardboard (S1) with pencil (T4) and ruler (T3) in the shape of an oyster shell.
2. Draw out face hole in area relative to your body with pencil (T4)
3. Cut out front body piece and face hole with utility knife (T2)
Step 4: Creating Part 2
1. Draw out back panel with pencil (T4) and ruler (T3), measurements are identical to front panel.
2. Cut out back piece with utility knife (T2)
Step 5: Creating Part 3
1. Using slightly thicker (2-ply) cardboard (S1), draw out 1' long and 6'' wide top connector piece with pencil (T4) and ruler (T3)
2. Cut out top connector with utility knife (T2)
Step 6: Creating Part 4
1. Draw out two side connectors, of the same length as the top connector, on cardboard (S1) using pencil (T4) and ruler (T3)
2. Cut out side connectors with utility knife (T2)
Step 7: Steps for Assembly
2. Attach side connectors (P4) in predetermined slots.
3. Insert top connector (P3) in predetermined slot to complete assembly.