I have created this Instructable to meet the needs of people who prefer their chili with a milder taste, but for those of you that like it HOT... don't worry it can easily be adjusted to satisfy tastebuds of all kinds.
This is a Chili Con Carne. There are NO beans, tomatoes, or onions in this chili... but if you must have them feel free to add them :-)
To prepare this meal you will need a crock pot, blender, and a grill (or some way to roast your peppers.. maybe in the oven).
You will also need some beef, chili peppers, olive oil, salt, and cumin.
Step 1: Gather Your Ingredients
One beef shoulder
A variety of chili peppers
One can of chipotle peppers in adobe sauce
For a mild chili like this one, use a larger percentage of mild peppers, and only a few hot peppers. This recipe uses:
5 poblano peppers
3 red chili peppers
4 yellow peppers
4 anaheim peppers
4 serrano chilis
If you would like it spicier, take away a few of the poblano peppers and add more serrano peppers, and maybe another habanero. Or, keep the poblanos AND add more hot peppers!
*In the images you will see more peppers and beef. This is because I doubled the recipe so that I would have some to freeze.
Step 2: Prepare Your Chili Sauce
- Gather your peppers and pour a little olive oil over them.
- Place them on your grill and roast them until they are wrinkled.
- Remove from grill and let them rest until they are cool enough to handle.
- After they have cooled, cut them open and remove the skin and seeds
- Place all the peppers (including your canned chipotles with the sauce) in your blender and blend until it becomes a sauce.
Don't worry too much about removing EVERY seed, and ALL of the skin.... Just remove as much as you can.