Material and equipment
- Structure Materials:
- 4mm Microtube.
- 12mm Wood.
- 3mm Acrylic.
- Six 3L soda bottles.
- Four funnels with a 4mm nozzle.
- Arduino UNO Board.
- Two 12 Volts micro bombs.
- SRS-05VDC Relay.
- Diode rectifier.
- Vcc plug.
- Connection cables.
- Four soil Humidity sensors.
- DHT11 Sensor.
- ESP8266 Wi-fi Module
Step 1: Base Structure
- You need to cut three wooden plank pieces of30x50cm and two of 30x80cm
- Drill four holes with 3cm of diameter in two of the three 30x50 planks, leaving two holes in the middle and bottom planks
- Join all the 30x50 planks with the walls of 30x80 with a difference of 30cm between planks and 10 cm between the bottom plank and the floor. Join them using nails.
- Cut two wooden planks of 20x12 and 20x20 each and place them in the inferior floor
- To make the planters you need to cut a bottle starting from the mouth to a distance of 15cm.
- Repeat the last step to the other three bottles.
- Drill each of the bottle caps so it allows the water drain process .
Step 2: Sprinkler System
- Print the Solidworks design in the acrylic
- after that you should have two halve disks.
- On the first floor of the structure screw the servomotor into the holes of the bottom disk (The one with four big holes). Drill two holes behind the servomotor for the hoses of both micro bombs.
- Connect the hoses into the i/o of the microbombs.
- Insert the hoses connected to the input of the microbombs into the bottles.
- Join the hoses connected to the output of the microbombs with both of the holes from the superior disk Drill in the superior floor four holes of 5mm each referencing the ones in the inferior disk.
- Connect the funnels into the holes from the last step.And their respective hoses too.
- Connect all hoses into the planters.
Step 3: Electronic Components
- Place the arduino and the protoboard on the superior floor.
- Connect both the ground and 5v pins into the protoboard.
- Strip 4 long cables.Make sure they are long enough to reach the plants
- Make the connection between the humidity sensors,ground,5v and the analog pins.
- Using a 330 ohms resitance , connect the DHT11 to the protoboard.
- Connect the servomotor and adjust it .Make sure the 0 angle of it its the first position of the plants.After that connect the servo to a digital pin.
- Using 2 relays connect the microbombs to the energy source and the protoboard.
- Connect the ESP8266 module to 3.3v(make sure its 3.3v not 5) and to two digital pins (in order to create another serial)
Step 4: Software
In order to make everything work use the Arduino IDE to program every function (Servomotor,microbombs,sensors,wifi_module,relays,timers,whatchdog,and the database connection)
- Using mongodb you can create a not relational database in order to store all of the data from the sensors.(Hosting it in a server from node.js)
- The app is made using ionic 2 .
- Both the app and the database is an optional feature .Do it if you want to monitor more your plants.
In the adds(rar folder) is the .ino from arduino so you can follow it there.