In my recipe, however, I took things a step further by making the cupcakes from scratch. This is totally optional. I collect antique cookbooks - my oldest one is from 1904. I decided to get some use out of one of them, my Betty Crocker's Picture Cookbook from 1956 - which my good friend gave to me recently. The cake recipe I used is for Burnt Sugar Cake - I thought the flavors sounded perfect for the smore-cakes! I modified the recipe with added graham crackers which were pulverized in my blender, and I made some other changes to the recipe to taste more like smores! will include the full recipe in this instructable. I hope you enjoy these delicious smore-cakes - they are highly addictive!!!
Step 1: Make the Cupcakes
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup boiling water
additional water, to make 1 cup liquid (see instructions)
2 cups of cake flour
1/4 cup of graham crackers (Pulverized in your blender or food processor) - blend 8-12 graham crackers as you will need more of it for later, when decorating the cupcakes
1 cup sugar
3 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup soft shortening (or, 1/2 cup of vegetable oil - either will work)
2 eggs (1/3-1/2 cup)
1 teaspoon vanilla, if desired
- To make syrup first caramelize the 1/2 cup sugar in a heavy skillet over low-medium heat until clear and medium brown, shaking pan gently to keep from burning.
- Remove from heat.
- Add slowly, stirring constantly, 1/2 cup boiling water.
- Stir over low heat until lumps are dissolved.
- Measure and add water to make 1 cup liquid.
- Set aside to allow it to cool.
- Sift together into bowl, 2 cups sifted cake flour, 1/4 cup of pulverized ground up graham crackers and 1 cup sugar, 3 teaspoons baking powder and 1 teaspoon salt. (I used my ninja blender to pulverize graham crackers and I also put it through the sifter two times).
- Add 1/2 cup soft shortening (or replace with 1/2 cup vegetable oil) and 2/3 cup cooled caramel-water mixture.
- Beat 2 minutes.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup cooled caramel-water mixture, 2 eggs and 1 teaspoon vanilla.
- Beat 2 more minutes.
- Pour into greased cupcake pan.
- If making cupcakes - it should take 18-22 minutes approximately at 350 degrees F.
- Bake until cake tests done or toothpick inserted comes out dry.