Introduction: S'mores Pie (Pi Themed)
There is no better way to celebrate Pi Day than with a pi(e)!!!!
This is a great s'mores inspired pie that's sure to please on pi day or any other day for that matter! Hope you enjoy!
Step 1: Make the Graham Crust
- 10 graham cracker sheets (about 1 1/4 cup ground)
- 3 Tbsp butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 F.
Break up the graham crackers and place them in a food processor. Pulse until the crackers are finely ground. Add in butter and continue to mix until the mixture is homogeneous. Press the mixture into a 9 inch pie pan. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown. Set aside to cool.
Step 2: Make the Chocolate Filling
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 cup cornstarch
pinch of salt
4 egg yolks
3 cups milk
8 oz melted semi sweet chocolate
2 Tbsp butter
1 tsp vanilla
1) Mix together sugar, cornstarch, salt, and yolks in a large saucepan until combined well. Whisk in milk. Bring the mixture to a boil over moderate heat, whisking constantly. Once bubbling, turn the heat down to low and whisk vigorously for 1 minute. The mixture should be thick.
2) Melt chocolate and butter in a large glass bowl by microwaving in 30 second intervals and stirring in between.
3) Place a mesh sieve over the bowl of melted chocolate and force the filling (the one made in step 1) though the sieve into the melted chocolate. Add in vanilla and stir until completely smooth. Cover the filling and let set in refrigerator for 2-4 hours or overnight.
Step 3: Make the Marshmallow Fluffff
2 egg whites
pinch of cream of tartar
1 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp water
1/4 cup sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1) Place egg whites and cream or tartar in a stand mixer with whisk attachment. Gradually increase the speed to high until the eggs are frothy. Add in in 1 Tbsp of sugar and mix until there are firm peaks. Set aside.
2) In a small saucepan, mix water, 1/4 cup sugar, and corn syrup. Over medium high heat, bring the mixture to a boil, stirring regularly. Once the mixture reaches 240 F, take it off the heat.
3) Start the mixer on slow and slowly pour the hot syrup into the egg mixture. Once all the syrup is added, increase speed to medium high and mix for 5 minutes, scraping down the sides of the bowl as needed. The mixture should be thick and hold its shape as it's mixed around. Add in vanilla and mix until the fluff is white in color.
Step 4: Optional: Make Your Chocolate Decorations!
Place chocolate in a ziploc bag and microwave in 30 second intervals until the chocolate is completely melted. Pipe the Greek letter pi and some numbers onto foil or parchment paper. Let cool until dry.
Step 5: Assemble the Pie!
In the prebaked graham cracker crust, layer on the chocolate filling then the marshmallow topping. Use a torch to get brown the marshmallow fluff or put the pie under a broiler for 3-5 minutes.
Top with your chocolate decorations and enjoy! :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.