My mailbox, yet again, had gotten a little tipsy. So I decided an intervention was in order. I consulted some expert literature in the field to ensure that I provided care within the regulatory standards.
I gently coaxed away the old snail-mail baggage, or cargo, to get to the root of the problem. Funny thing though, I had this weird craving for escargot... hmm... but I digress.
Step 1: Dismantling a Frail Structure
- I cut off the corrosion fused nuts from the bolts that fastened the aluminum mounting plate to the box.
- There was only one intact weld attaching one leg of the original post to the mounting plate, I hack-sawed right through it.
Step 2: Developing a Stable Support System
It had been a while since I had to open up my black bag of practitioners tools.
- I measured, marked then cut a salvaged 4 X 4 pressure treated fence post to length with my trusty Stanley handsaw.
- Then I measured, marked and made two kerf cuts to accept the center channel rails of the aluminum mounting plate.
Step 3: Establishing a New Foundation
- I centered the aluminum mounting plate channel rails in the slots cut into the top of the post.
- Using a 16D nail as a punch, I drove four holes through the plate for fastening to the post.
- I drove four 10D galvanized nails through the plate into the post.
- Finally I mounted the box to the plate using four 8-32 stainless steel machine screws and nuts.
Step 4: Scarred But Grounded
Unashamed my mailbox now greets the mail carrier with confidence in the character of it's blemishes.
Stand straight, strong, and proud my friend!