Introduction: Snake Gourd Curry With Split Bengal Gram
Snake Gourds are cooked in many ways but cooking with split Bengal Gram adds more taste to this vegetable. here is the simple recipe we follow at our home for cooking Snake gourds
Step 1: Clean and Cut Snake Gourd
- For easy handling and cleaning, cut the snake gourd into six inch pieces
- Split each piece in half
- Using a teaspoon, remove the seeds and tissue covering the seeds fro inside
- Wash the gourd pieces in running water
- Split the pieces lengthwise into 1/4 inch pieces
- Hold the 1/4 inch strips together and make cubes of equal size
Step 2: Pressure Cook Split Bengal Gram and Snake Gourd Cubes
- Soak handful of split Bengal gram in water for about 15 to 20 minutes
- Add the soaked Bengal gram in a pressure cooker with little water
- Add the Snake gourd cubes. The water should be just enough to cover the vegetable pieces
- Add salt to taste, a teaspoon of turmeric powder and a teaspoon of Cumin seed powder
- Pressure cook for about 5 to six minutes and remove from heat
Step 3: Stir-fry the Pressure Cooked Vegetable
- Heat a tablespoon of any cooking oil in a pan
- When the oil is heated, add a teaspoon of mustard seeds, curry leaves and red chili pieces.
- Add chopped onion to oil and stir fry till onion turns into golden brown
- Now add the pressure cooked snake gourd + Split Bengal gram mix
- Cook in medium heat till all water evaporates from the dish
Serve as a side dish with cooked rice or Roti (Indian wholemeal bread made from Wheat flour)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.