It's always tempting to put up a project and only show the 'straight line' from concept to result- Get these materials, do these steps and voilà a finshed project! I don't know about you, but my path is usually a little more meandering. I thought I'd share the design process and some of the mess-ups on the way because it's interesting.
Step 1: Inspiration
I was looking for some sort of modular interlocking design. The paper folding patterns I found were very cool but a little too intense to imagine making in cardboard on a room sized scale. I scaled back my ambitions and started sketching some ideas.
I ended up with two designs that called to me. One looked sort of like large dominoes and the other had a star design made out of the negative space where the pieces came together.
Step 2: Refine the Design
I still needed to decide how many and what size the panels should be. I knew I wanted the overall divider to be taller than me and at least 6' wide. I wanted an odd number of panels vertically and ended up with 40 panels.
I drew it up more accurately on the computer and liked how it was looking.