Anyway I was trying to figure out which chocolate cupcake recipe to use... I was going to use the chocolate cupcake recipe from my Chocolate Cupcakes I made a while back which I filled with Vanilla Pudding and Topped with Chocolate frosting and the whole thing was actually very healthy and no one could tell. Sadly, I had no yogurt so I couldn't make those. I settled for this basic vegan chocolate cupcakes recipe instead.
Yes, the cupcake part is vegan! That's kinda healthy, right? Woop!
Ingredients (serves 5)
For the cupcakes
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- scant 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- scant 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1.5 of a 1/4 tsp baking soda (so one 1/4 tsp and one half of a 1/4 tsp)
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cups packed light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp almond milk
- 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- caramel sauce from above
- 3 or 4 fun-size Snickers bars, chopped
- caramel sauce
- 1 Tbsp butter, softened slightly and chopped
- ~1 cups powdered sugar
- 2 fun-size Snickers bars, chopped
For the cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a muffin pan with cupcake liners.
- Whisk together the almond milk and vinegar in a large bowl, and set aside for a few minutes.
- Add the sugar, oil, vanilla extract to the almond milk mixture and whisk until foamy.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Add in two batches to wet ingredients and beat until no large lumps remain.
- Pour into liners, filling 3/4 of the way.
- Bake 18 to 20 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and let cool completely.
- Once cupcakes have cooled, use a knife or apple corer to cut out a small hole in the center of each cupcake. (see how I did this in this and this example – recommended).
- Remove the core and discard.
- To make the filling, melt the butter in a heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat.
- Stir in the salt and brown sugar and heat the mixture to boiling, stirring constantly.
- Cook over low heat for a few minutes, until the sugar is totally dissolved.
- Stir in the milk and return to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove the pan from the heat and stir in vanilla.
- Cool to lukewarm, about 30-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- To make the cupcake filling, in a medium bowl, combine the chopped Snickers and 2 Tbsp of the cooled caramel sauce and mix to coat.
- Drop a spoonful of the filling mixture into each cupcake.
- Reserve three tablespoons of caramel sauce for drizzling over frosted cupcakes.
- To make the frosting, transfer remaining caramel sauce to the bowl.
- Add chopped 1 Tbsp softened butter.
- Add the powdered sugar, only a little at a time, and beat on medium-high speed until until light and fluffy, about 3-4 minutes.
- Adjust consistency with a little more milk or powdered sugar, if necessary.
- Transfer the frosting to a piping bag and frost the cooled and filled cupckaes.
- Drizzle the frosted cupcakes with the remaining caramel sauce and garnish with chopped Snickers bars.