Things you'll need,
- Snow of the right consistency. Not too dry, not too wet. Packable.
- Cool temperatures. This arch was built in warm temperature, which led to its short life of about an hour.
- Support braces. We used a series of sawhorses, boards, and snow.
- Block mold. We used kitty litter buckets. It should have flat sides and have a slight taper.
- Some sort of scrapping tool.
Snow Arch from Paul Maiorana on Vimeo.
Step 1: Foundation
Step 2: Stack and Fix
As the arch builds it's important to step back and adjust the pillars. It's snow, so it will shift and compact. Make sure you help the snow pillars get back to a true state, perfectly straight up and down from left to right. Obviously, keep the arch arching, but the front to back may need to be straightened.