Want to make some cool fabric? It's as easy as just adding snow and fiber reactive dyes to material.
Here are the supplies needed to complete this project:
• natural fiber material – I used cheap muslin and canvas
• Dharma Textile Detergent or Synthrapol
• bucket for soda ash water
• soda ash
• cup and teaspoon – only used for crafts
• dust mask, goggles, gloves
• rubber bands
• containers to dye material in (plastic shoe boxes, kitty litter boxes, etc.)
• Procion MX dyes
• bucket for snow and scoop or your hands
• plastic bags to cover dyed containers
• towels to clean up
• warm area to leave dyed material containers overnight
Step 1: Cut and wash fabric
To get started cut fabric into yard-sized pieces. Since I only bought a yard of canvas I cut it into two half-yards pieces.
After the fabric is cut, it needs to be washed in hot water with Dharma Textile Detergent or Synthrapol to remove any sizing, oil, or dirt.
If planning on dyeing right away, you can proceed to the next step. However, if you plan to dye another day, go ahead and dry the fabric. Now the fabric will be ready for the next step.