I decided to make some soft-box lights for our photography setup in our studio.
The aim of a soft-box light is to create an even and diffuse light source, is is simply an enclosure around a bulb comprising of reflective side and back walls and a diffusing material at the front of the light.
For my soft-box lights I used some energy efficient dimmable daylight bulbs so that they do not get too hot but output a good amount of light, but also so they can be dimmed to adjust the light levels.
Step 1: Materials Required
The materials for the whole project are,
- 4 x Energy Efficient (Compact Fluorescent) Daylight Dimmable 20W Lightbulbs
- 4 x Light fittings for the bulbs, as i'm in the UK i am using BC (Bayonet) Fittings
- Mains Electrical Cable
- Mains Plug
- Dimmer Switch
- Backing box for dimmer switch
- Small bit of wood, size is up to you, it needs to be big enough to fit the light fittings on it
- Flat Screen TV wall Mount
- Card Board
- Tin Foil
- Tracing Paper
- Sticky cable tie mounts
- Rubber bands
- Double Sided Tape
- Wire Strippers