I made a whole bunch before Christmas, and can easily make 2 or 3 in an evening after work!
First things first, find your equipment.....
- Your choice of fleece - I like microfibre, but you can choose anything warm and cosy.Either go for a single colour for the simplest version, or a selection for a stripey hat or one with decoration (I'll explain how much in the next step - it varies!)
- A tape measure
- Tailors chalk, or a felt tip that will show up on your fleece
- Sewing Machine (or needles, if you're doing it the old fashioned way...)
- Thread, in a similar colour, or contrasting if you want the detail to show up
- Anything you want to decorate it with - buttons, beads, pretty bits of ribbon, pom poms.....
Ready? Off we go....
Step 1: Measuring and Marking
Heres mine: 60cm (24") round the head, which, with the 3cm (1") add on, gives me a length of 63cm or 25". This is the first of your measurements...
You're now going to mark out the rectangle you need to make your hat.
Lay your fleece out flat on a table. Grab your tape measure, and your chalk or felt tip.
Start by measuring out the length (the head measurement we just took). Work from an edge, and measure the length of the line before marking. If in doubt, add a little, don't take it away!
You're now going to add the height. Your rectangle needs to be 30cm tall.
Once it's all marked out, and you've checked your measurements, cut it out.