Summer is almost here (in Canada) and it is the perfect time to harness the power of the SUN!
Cooling homes in the summer has quite an affect on energy loads and demands, so why not decrease your impact with solar powered fans!
Actually, this can be used for anything that runs on 12 V DC . If you by a 12 V to 110 V inverter you can plug in pretty much anything that isn't too power-demanding. This would depend on the size of your storage battery though.
Step 1: Parts
You will need:
- 1 or more solar panel(s) that can output about 12 V
- rechargeable battery (I used an emergency car booster pack. These are good because they have 12 volt cigarette lighter plugs which are ideal for a computer fan.)
- cigarette lighter outlet adapter
- adapter plug that fits into the input of your battery (I was able to scavenge through some old adapters. The input is there for a 110V adapter that can be used to charge the battery using a regular wall outlet. Not very GREEN charging it that way though!! )
- breadboard (not very necessary, but makes things a lot more customizable)
- 1 or more 12 V computer fans
- shrink tube or electrical tape
- soldering iron (optional)