What is Solderdoodle Pro? Now Solderdoodle Pro melts Lead-Free Solder!
Please click below to visit our Kickstarter project page for Solderdoodle Pro and pre-order a production model!
Solderdoodle Pro is a portable, cordless, USB rechargeable soldering iron. It is based off my original Open Source project: "Solar Powered Soldering Station" http://www.instructables.com/id/Solar-Powered-Sol...
Specifications for the Battery and Circuit, including Gerber files, can be found at www.solarcyclepower.com
After learning how to use 3D printers, one of my friends asked if there was such a thing as a USB soldering iron and I said that I had instructions to build one, but the battery was external. I then realized that I could create my own case design on a 3D printer and put the battery, charge controller, and other parts inside as one single unit! It worked! .stp files for the case are provided below.
Solderdoodle Pro Specs:
* Time to Fully Charge Solderdoodle @ 5V 1A: 3 hours
* Capacity: 3350mAh/3.6V * Type: NCR18650B Lithium-Ion
* Diameter: 1.5 inches * Length: 7.2 inches
* Charge Cable Length: 5 feet * Weight: 96g (3.4 oz)
* Input Cable - Male USB 2.0 Type A to Micro Connector
* Input - Current: 450 to 1300mA | Voltage: 5 to 6 Volts
* Output - Current: 1400mA | Voltage: 2.5 to 4.2 Volts
* Body Material: High Temperature Plastic
* Battery Life Under Typical Use: 5 years
* Replaceable battery * Provides over an hour of soldering
* Solder up to 24 gage thick wire (Flux recommended for lead-free applications, thicker wire, or large ground planes)
* Heats up to over 700ºF (371ºC) in just 30 seconds
* For use with leaded solder and lead-free solder
*WARNING: Be careful when handling any Lithium-Ion battery because shorting the battery can cause burns. Always wear safety goggles. Please use recommended battery and circuit components because of the higher 2000mA max battery charge current involved. 3D printed parts may warp under high temperatures.
FCC Compliance: NOT Required because the circuit frequencies are below 1.7MHz