Hello, I have a couple soldering irons, but no stand; I occasionally solder various stuff and i seem to always be using a make-shift, unsafe items to hold the iron.... When I saw this challenge it prompted me to build a stand out of wire. This is my first instructable, so any constructive critisism who be appreciated! Thanks!
This is a Soldering iron stand made out of 18 AWG wire.
Items you will need
- Soldering iron
- Saftey glasses
- 18 AWG wire or larger.... it needs to be uninsulated wire!
- Ruler or alternate measuring devise
- A couple of heavy duty pliers
- optional ... a handy vise with alligator clips
- Wire cutters
Step 1: How to straighten the wire!
First off the wire needs to be straight. Do the following in order to achieve this!
- Cut off a couple feet of wire
- Grip one end of the wire with pliers, then wrap the wire around the pliers a couple times
- Then do the same thing with the other end of the wire and other set of pliers
- Put one end on the ground and stand on it
- Grab the other end with both hands and pull hard
- You will actually feel the wire stretch a little bit
- At this point you now have made the wire straight