Requirements & Recommendations: If you plan on making a cake like this, be sure to have extra items on hand. I do not recommend that you use store-bought frosting. You can make it yourself and you will have an abundance of it - it will taste better and be much more affordable.
- Here is an instructable to tell you how to make your own buttercream frosting.
- Here is an instructable on making your own marshmallow fondant. From my sister's past experiences, this stuff tastes much better than the store-bought and other kinds. It's basically made from marshmallows and powdered sugar - who doesn't love that?
- For my decorations, I created the orange spirals from fondant alone. I used a wooden skewer and wrapped thin long pieces of fondant around it and let it dry out.
- For the yellow circles or rings, I used fondant one part fondant to 1/4 part of gum paste. This allows for it to harden better than with fondant alone. Gum paste purchased in a package is expensive, but I purchased it as I couldn't find the ingredients to make it from scratch.
- For Sonic - I created a body consisting of a found tummy and round head out of gum paste alone. I cut a wooden skewer into four pieces and used that as his legs and arms. I put those pieces into the gum paste body before I let it all dry. Then after that, I started by laying fondant over the head and other body parts. Then, by creating the detailed fondant pieces and attaching them. It was the most time-consuming part of the process.