First instructable, please rate and comment!
Step 1: What you need
- Two D size batteries
- Plastic jar that can fit inside the can (and lid). I had to hacksaw the sides off the jar we used.
- Bit of wire for the switch
- Insulating tape
- PVC foam. Doesn't really matter if you don't use this exact material, just chose this because it was insulating and easy to shape, plus reasonably strong.
- Bit of polystyrene
- Brass strip with holes
- Brass strip without holes. If you dont have any strip without holes the stuff with holes should work, though it can be a pain to bend in the right place.
- Torch bulb and reflector. I think the bulb I used was 3W - I wouldn't use a bulb any less than that. The reflector just happened to fit the jar perfectly. You might need to adjust the size of the reflector you use if it doesn't fit. Also check the type of fitting your torch bulb is - the one I used had a strange fitting - one of the contacts was a flat part behind the second contact, and the second contact was like one on a bayonet lightbulb. Its shown in the second picture.
- Sharp knife
- Long nose pliers
- Wire cutters
- Hammer (optional but helps with bending the strip 90 degrees)
- Half moon file
- Foam cutter (optional)