Introduction: Southwestern Chicken Skillet
Most of my go-to recipes are Asian, so today I thought I would branch out a bit and experiment with some Southwestern style food. Beans, chicken, and cheese are in general an amazing combination, so this simple chicken skillet tastes great without much work at all! Not only that, that each of the ingredients are cheap but very nutritious, which makes it a great meal for anyone on a budget.
Step 1: Ingredients
- Precooked (preferably also pre-shredded) chicken
- 1 pita bread
- 1 can of beans
- Sliced or shredded cheese
- Green onions
Step 2: Mise En Place
Prep the ingredients:
- Chop the green onion
- If the chicken is not cooked or shredded - poach the chicken to cook, and then shred using a serrated knife
- If the cheese is not already shredded, shred/slice the cheese into smaller pieces
Step 3: Prepare the Skillet
Now that all the ingredients are prepared, we can start to mix them together in the skillet.
- Heat a skillet on medium-high heat with a couple spoons of cooking oil
- When the pan is properly heated, combine all your chicken and beans and give them a stir
- This is a good time to add in whatever seasoning you want to experiment with - for something southwestern tasting, I would recommend something like cayenne pepper.
- Turn the heat on high and put on a lid to let the mixture boil
- After it starts to boil, turn the heat back down to low, and let it simmer for ~20min
Step 4: Garnish and Enjoy!
After the chicken and beans have finished cooking, uncover the lid and spoon the mixture onto your pita bread. Garnish with the cheese and green onion to your liking, roll up the pita bread, and enjoy this simple, easy, southwestern style chicken skillet!