Introduction: Spam Onigiri
Easy and fun spam recipe with in the package of an exotic japanese rice ball (Onigiri). A great recipe to make with your family, and the kids get to bring it to school the next day for lunch too!
Step 1: How to Cook Rice
Using a rice cooker:
add 2 cups of medium/short grain rice; Koshihikari is the preferred brand but any rice with medium/high starch content is okay.
rinse the rice once with water, drain, and then add 3 cups of water for 2 cups of rice.
start the rice cooker and let it cook for ~20 minutes.
Step 2: Making Sushi Rice
- 1 table spoon sugar
- 2 table spoon white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
First take the rice in to a mixing bowl and loosen it with using a spatula;
then, sprinkle in the ingredients and knead lightly, get as much air contact on to the rice as possible.
Step 3: SPAM SPAM SPAM
- Cut a chunk of spam into think slices, and then cut the slices into threads
- season with rosemary, cardamon, thyme and black pepper
Step 4: Onigiri
- Wash hands thoroughly and dab with salt water
- Scoop a generous amount of rice in one hand, hold it in palm, and squeeze with palm and fingers into a C shape. With the other hand, make a similar C shape between fingers and palm, and press down from the space between the palm and fingers of the first hand.
- once the rice is firmly shaped into the triangular shape, press a small dent in the center of the rice with your thumb and place some spam in side.
- Cover the dent with some more rice and another press.
Step 5: Completion
- Cut a piece of nori about 1 inch wide and 3 1/2 inch long
- wrap it around the bottom of the onigiri
- Enjoy the food while being grateful for the hard work done by the planters and harvesters!