Hot glue / hard plastic cups make really sparkly sparkleball.
Step 1: What You Need
- 64 5 oz hard plastic tumblers (hot glue only works with hard plastic cups.)
- 100 string mini-lights
- 200 large paperclips
- hot glue gun
- soldering iron
note 1: If you use standard 9oz tumblers change formula to 12 - 9 - 4.
note 2: I used two different colors of red shot glasses for Valentine's Day.
Step 2: Build Each Side in Layers.
- Clip 14 cups in a circle.
- Put 11 cups on top of the 14. Clip each one to cup it sits on.
- Put 6 cups on top of the 11. Clip each one to cup it sits on.
- Add last cup and clip to 6 cups around it.
- Now, add a clip wherever the cups touch.
note 1: In this step the pink cups show you how the layers are placed.
note 2: If 14 cups doesn't make a circle, your cups aren't the right size.
Step 3: Get Your Glue Gun.
- The paperclips guide you where to glue.
- Pull off a paperclip and squirt a generous dab of glue between cups.
- Re-clip after gluing to press cups and glue tightly.
note 1: don't force cups. only glue where cups touch.
note 2: cracks are ok.
Step 4: Build and Glue 2nd Side Just Like the 1st.
Step 5: Get Your Soldering Iron.
- Burn a 1/2" hole into 25 randomly selected cups on each side.
- Do this step outside with good ventilation.
Step 6: OR Skip the Soldering. . .
Simply stuff lights between the two sides, making sure cord hangs clear.
Step 7: Remove Clips and Add Lights.
- On 1st side, start at plug end.
- Insert two lights per hole (50 lights in all.) Begin and end on outside rim.
- On 2nd side, start with opposite end of cord.
- When you finish, lights will meet in the middle.
Step 8: Join the 2 Sides.
- Clip sides together. (It's easier to see where to glue.)
- Glue and re-clip.
- Leave clips in place overnight to set.
Step 9: Add a Hanger.
Melt a hole between 2 cups and make a hanger. I use zip-ties.