In this Instructable, I will not only show you how to build a mousetrap car, but also some tips and tricks that I learned in my own building process.
Back off, PETA. No animals (or pet rocks ;]) were harmed in the making of this Instructable.
Step 1: Gather Thine Materials
1. (2) Balsa wood side rails (8" x 1/2" x 1/4") - mine came pre-drilled; but you'll have to drill holes (slightly larger than 3/16") in yours for the axle
2. (2) Brass axles (6" x 3/16" tube)
3. (1) Brass lever arm (6" x 1/8" Tube)
4. (4) CD's to use as wheels - I used those clear things that you get when you buy a pack of black disks; these work fine, too
5. (8) Rubber CD spacers
6. (4) Metal thrust washers
7. (1) Victor Mousetrap
8. (1) Zip tie to use as axle hook
9. 36" Kevlar String - if you can't find Kevlar, any type of thin string, even fishing wire, works well enough
Note: In class we were provided with these kits; you can order them rather than trying to gather all the parts individually.
You'll also want these tools:
1. A hot glue gun and hot glue or super glue
2. Needle-nose pliers
3. Wire cutter
5. Protractor, optional
6. Sandpaper, optional