These were more or less a project for experimenting and practicing on the lathe, and, as a result, the process of making each jar was slightly different.
We don't have a chuck for the wood lathe yet, which made this project a bit more of a challenge. I worked around the problem with a faceplate, scrap wood, and some wood glue.
I used Forstner bits to hollow out the containers while they were still on the lathe.
I made it at TechShop.
Step 1: Materials and equipment
- hardwood blank (the piece i used was two pieces of mahogany glued together - take a look at the picture)
- scrap wood
- wood glue
- sand paper (100, 150, 220, 400)
- mineral oil
- wood lathe
- face plate
- Forstner bits
- turning chisels
- measuring implement
Step 2: Preparing blanks for turning
1) Rounded entire stock as one piece.
2) Cut stock into 5 pieces of equal length on the articulated miter saw
3) Cut squares of scrap wood, marked centers
4) Glued, centered, and clamped hardwood blanks onto scrap wood squares
5) Waited 24 hours
6) Centered and screwed glued wood onto faceplate
What I should have done and why...
If I were to redo this project, I would have rounded each of my 5 blanks individually. Cutting the stock to length after I had rounded it meant that each cut wasn't entirely square. As a result, my blanks didn't sit square on the scrap wood I glued them to and I had to true them. Basically, I could have conserved more material and made these jars a bit wider.
If I had a chuck...
I could have skipped all of this gluing nonsense.