Introduction: Spiced Apple Cider With Rum
Hey everyone. This is my version of a delicious hot drink with a little extra of something good. I wanted to make my apple cider with all of the goodness that nature had to offer, like fresh oranges and fresh ginger root.
1. Two quart bottle of apple juice from concentrate
2. Smallest package of Light brown sugar
3. Cinnamon sticks
4. Whole cloves
5. Ground allspice
6. One orange
7. One small fresh ginger root
8. Ground cinnamon
9. Whip cream
10. Spiced Rum
In addition to my ingredients I had these extras on hand:
1. Mesh strainer with handle
2. Two quart sauce pan with lid
3. Plastic storage pitcher with lid
4. Teaspoon and tablespoon measurements
Step 1: Recipe
Spiced Apple Cider with Rum
• 8 cups or 2 Quarts of Apple Juice from concentrate
• 1 orange, cut into thin slices
• 4 cinnamon sticks
• 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
• 1 tablespoon whole cloves
• 1/3 piece of fresh ginger root cut into thin slices
• 1/2 cup brown sugar
• Spiced Rum
Step 2: Directions
I poured all of the apple juice into the saucepan and turned the heat on medium to start off the process. Next I sliced the orange and ginger root into thin slices. Don’t worry about the peels or skins attached, it will eventually be strained.
Add the Orange, ginger, cinnamon sticks, ground cinnamon, allspice, cloves and brown sugar to the apple juice.
Step 3: Simmering and Straining
Whisk everything briefly and than allow all of the ingredients to simmer on the stovetop for about twenty minutes.
Once the Cider has simmered for about twenty minutes, take the pan and carefully strain the cider through a strainer that is placed over a plastic pitcher.
Discard the strained ingredients and store the Cider in your refrigerator.
Step 4: Topping It All Off
I took a mug and poured about one ounce of Spiced Rum into it, filled the rest of the mug with hot apple cider and than topped it off with whipped cream and ground cinnamon.
Another great idea that can be done is also topping the whipped cream with caramel and a cinnamon stick on the side or an apple slice on the rim of the cup.