Why is macaroni and cheese so good? It might have something to do with the opioids that cheese releases when it melts, but it might also be that it's really tasty.
Sure, you could just buy a box, and stir in that pouch of cheese food product goo, but wouldn't you rather have something delicious? Gooey and cheesey, this has got a little kick, but you can cut down the amount of peppers (or leave them out) if it's too much for you.
Step 1: You'll Need. . .
- large pot
- medium heavy bottomed pot
- small bowl
- baking or casserole dish
- large spoon (wooden or other)
- .5 pound elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 3 cups whole milk (can be substituted for 2% or skim - if you're into that kind of thing)
- .25 cup yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 large egg
- 12 ounces shredded cheese (I prefer sharp cheddar and some jack), plus more for topping
- 1 teaspoon salt
- fresh black pepper
- .25 cup roasted jalepeno (see below)
- .25 roasted red pepper (see below)
- about .75 cup of breadcrumbs (day old bread, crackers, or a few slices of toast ground in a food processor or crushed inside a plastic bag work well for this)