Introduction: Spicy Black Pepper Soup
The "black pepper soup" is commonly known as "black pepper rasam" in south India. This is a very common and famous delicacy of South India and is a must in almost all special occasions like weddings. This dish is used as a home remedy in-case of common cold, fever and gastric problems. The ingredients are easily available and this is a very quick and simple dish to make. Hope you like it.
Step 1: Ingredients
1. Black pepper - 2 tbsp
2. Garlic - 4 cloves
3. Cumin seeds - 1 tbsp
4. Turmeric Powder - 1/2 tsp
5. Asafoetida - 1/4 tsp
6. Salt - to taste
7. Cilantro (chopped) - 1/2 cup
8. Oil - 2 tsp
9. Mustard seeds - 1tsp
10. Curry Leaves - 8
11. Chopped tomato - 1/2 cup
12. Tamarind - small ball of the size of a small lemon
13. Water - 3 cups or as per desired consistency
Step 2: Preparation Steps :
- In a blender, grind whole black pepper, cumin and garlic to a coarse paste.
- In a vessel, add oil and heat it.
- When oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
- Once mustard seeds splutter, add chopped tomatoes and curry leaves. Cook it till the tomatoes become soft but not pasty.
- Add the ground paste from step 1, turmeric powder, asafoeida and mix well. Ensure it doesn't burn.
- Add freshly squeezed tamarind juice and mix.
- Add salt and mix well.
- Add water to desired quantity.
- Once it comes to a boil, turn off the stove.
- Add chopped cilantro.
- Serve hot.