Introduction: Spicy Chili Chicken
Spicy Chili Chicken is a very popular Indo-Chinese dish in India. It is prepared by first marinating skinless boneless chicken in chili sauces and then deep fried or shallow fried. The fried chicken is added into another Chili sauce made along with some vegetables. It is mostly served as an appetizer.
Step 1: Ingredients
1) Chicken - 400 grams (skinless boneless chicken cubed to bite size pieces and soaked in salted buttermilk)
2) Chili powder - 2 Tsp
3) Chili sauce - 2 Tsp (hot)
4) Pepper Powder - 1/2 Tsp
5) Corn flour - 2 Tbsp
6) All purpose flour - 2 Tbsp
7) Soya Sauce - 2 Tsp
8) Salt as per taste
9) Oil for frying
Chili Sauce :
1) Onion - 1 medium (sliced/cubed)
2) Chopped Garlic - 2 pods
3) Green Chili - 5 to 6 (sliced)
4) Spring onions - 2 to 3 strands (chopped)
5) Red Bell pepper - 1/4 Cup (cubed)
6) Yellow Bell Pepper - 1/4 Cup (cubed)
7) Chili powder - 1/2 Tsp
8) Chili sauce - 1 to 1 1/2 Tsp
9) soya sauce - 1 1/2 Tsp
10) sugar - 1/4 Tsp
11) Lime juice - 1 Tsp
12) Salt as per taste
13) Oil - 1 Tbsp
Step 2: Marinating the Chicken in Chili Sauce and Frying It
1) Remove the chicken from salted butter milk and pat it dry with kitchen towel.
2) Add chili sauce, soya sauce, pepper powder, salt to the chicken and mix well. Allow it to rest for 40 to 60 minutes.
3) Then add the corn flour, all purpose flour and mix well.
4) Add the oil in a pan and heat it to medium to high temperature.
5) Fry the chicken cubes till it becomes golden brown on both sides flipping on both sides regularly.
6) When the chicken is cooked drain on a kitchen tissue.
* The chicken can either be deep fried, shallow fried or baked as per preference.
* Prior to marinating the chicken in chili/soya sauces, the chicken was soaked in salted butter milk for 4 to 6 hours. so that the chicken will be soft and not dry out after frying it.
* Salted butter milk can be made by mixing 1 to 2 Tbsp yogurt in a 1 cup of water and adding salt as per taste.
* In order to obtain the red color for the chicken and you prefer less spicy ,use half of chili powder and half of paprika. No need of food color.
Step 3: Making the Chili Sauce
1) In a pan, add oil, garlic, onions, green chili, bell peppers, spring onion one by one and saute it for few minutes. (try to keep the veggies crunch and not too soft )
2) Then add the chili sauce, chili powder, soya sauce, sugar, salt, little water(1 to 2 Tbsp) and allow it to cook for few minutes. (If preferred add more of chili powder/ chili sauce)
3) Add the fried chicken in to the sauce and saute for few minutes.
Garnish with spring onions and Hot Hot Chili Chicken is ready !!!
For Spicy Chili Chicken Gravy
* Mix corn flour (1 to 2 Tsp) with water, mix it lump free and add it to the sauce. Check for the taste and add more sauces if needed. Cook it till the sauce thickens a little. Serve it hot with rice or flat bread.