This is a recipe for a sparkling red spicy apple cinnamon soda. It requires no special equipment and only one special ingredient (sort of.) It takes about 15 minutes of prep time plus a few days waiting time, and is about 50% real apple juice. It's a family-friendly drink straight from the bottle, or a fancy cocktail if you mix in some rum or vodka. It's also completely free of high fructose corn syrup and can be made reduced sugar style.
Step 1: Ingredients and Equipment
• No Sugar Added Apple Juice - reconstituted from frozen concentrate is fine, too.
• Cinnamon Red Hot Candies - you can find these in movie theater style cardstock boxes. year-round, or as Cinnamon Imperials around Christmas and Valentine's Day. They're often sold to be used as cupcake decorations.
• Sugar - plain old granulated white is fine, honey works, or a sugar substitute if you're looking to reduce a few calories.
• Brewer's Yeast - I used Pasteur Champagne yeast, any ale yeast would work, and bread yeast is okay, if a little less tasty. My packet of yeast was a bit less than $1 and would make around 16 liters of soda. Once you have some in your fridge you'll want to start carbonating everything.
• Water - tap water works fine for me, but do a one-bottle test if you've never tried anything with your tap water and yeast before. There are some water additives that can keep yeast from working well. (I go into this more in troubleshooting.)
• 1 or 2 LIter Plastic Bottles - If it has contained carbonated liquid before it can do it again. I used VERY CLEAN 1 liter bottles that had previously contained some carbonated flavored water. Don't use glass bottles. You can purchase bottles for this sort of thing from brewing supply companies if you don't have handy recyclables or want to be fancy.
• Measuring Spoons
• A Funnel (not absolutely necessary but definitely handy)
• Microwave safe glass pitcher or a small saucepan
• Something to stir with