Introduction: Spicy Tomato Chutney
The spicy Tomato chutney is served as side with Idli and Dosai in a South Indian Breakfast. This chutney is very simple to make and takes less than 10 minutes.
Please see the following steps on how to make the spicy tomato chutney
Step 1: Ingredients
- Chop one medium sized onion and add to a mixer grinder
- Take two tomatoes, slice and add to the mixer grinder
- Add three dried red chilies. You can add few more to make the chutney more spicy
- Add salt to taste
Step 2: Grind to Paste
- Grind all ingredients together to make a fine paste.
- There is no need to add water as the water content in onion pieces and tomato is enough to make the paste to the required consistency.
- Transfer the paste to a metal pan
Step 3: Ingredients for Tempering
- Heat one tablespoon of oil over medium flame
- When oil is heated, add a tablespoon of mustard seeds mixed with split black gram lentils
- When the mustard seeds start to crack, add a handful of Curry leaves to the oil. Take care as the curry leaves will make the oil splatter
Step 4: Serve With Hot Idli and Dosai
Immediately pour the hot oil with fried ingredients over the tomato paste in the pan. The oil will cover the surface of the paste and raw smell will disappear.
Our simple and spicy tomato chutney is ready. Serve with hot idli and dosai along with coconut chutney and sambar.