What is it? It's a thick vinyl strip secured to the cell phone that allows:
- Single handed, yet secure touch usage
- Quick car mount by sliding into an unused CD player slot
- Prevents it from sliding off surfaces like dashboards
- Makes it easy to fish out of pockets
- Muffles the vibrating sound when placed on hard surfaces
- Doubles as a night stand
The hack is fairly easy. Attach a small strip of thick vinyl to the back of a cell phone cover. There might be multiple ways to do this, but here's my approach.
Warning: You must be able to remove the back panel to do this hack. NEVER expose cellphone batteries to heat. They tend to explode fiery acid. If you cannot remove the back panel from your phone DO NOT ATTEMPT THIS modification.
Step 1: Materials
- Vinyl strip somewhere around 2.0 - 2.5mm thickness at least the size of the cell phone.
My source: TAP Plastics
- Polycaprolactone (PCL) plastic like InstaMorph, ShapeLock or Amaco's Friendly Plastic which comes in colors
My source: Amazon (black "Friendly Plastic")
Used as "glue" to attach the vinyl to the back of the phone.
My Source: Radio Shack Digital Soldering Station (variable temperature)
- Heat gun
My source: amazon, Milwaukee 8988-20 Variable Temperature Heat Gun is awesome
- Straight piece of thick wire. Like a snipped hanger (for finding center of cellphone)
- Razor or box knife (for scoring plastic)