I did this random hack about 9 months ago and have been living with it and using it constantly. I got to where I stopped noticing it and just used it. A friend reminded me to post it to instructables.
What is it? It's a thick vinyl strip secured to the cell phone that allows:
- Single handed, yet secure touch usage
- Quick car mount by sliding into an unused CD player slot
- Prevents it from sliding off surfaces like dashboards
- Makes it easy to fish out of pockets
- Muffles the vibrating sound when placed on hard surfaces
- Doubles as a night stand
I experimented with different materials like leather for the flap, but heavy vinyl worked best. It's soft, grippy, holds it's shape and is the right amount of rigid.
The hack is fairly easy. Attach a small strip of thick vinyl to the back of a cell phone cover. There might be multiple ways to do this, but here's my approach.Warning
: You must be able to remove the back panel to do this hack. NEVER expose cellphone batteries to heat. They tend to explode fiery acid. If you cannot remove the back panelfrom your phoneDO NOT ATTEMPT THISmodification