Introduction: Spooky Flashing LED for Pumpkin [Halloween]
I was recently checking out the 555 timer IC and I realized that there are many great projects you can use it for. I made a bright LED flash pretty quickly, like a candle but without the fire hazard. If you put this in your Jack O' Lanterns, you can be sure to make all your neighbors jealous!!
Also, this project is entered in some contests at the time of me posting this. PLEASE, if you like this Instructable, please vote for it in all the contests! Your help is much appreciated :D
Step 1: Getting Started
You will need some basic components for this. If you're in to electronics, this will be easy. If not, I will include links for you to purchase these parts from :)
- A battery enclosure for 4 AA batteries: Mine had a switch, too, which was helpful.
- 2 x 10k Ω Resistors: 1/6w is fine, not much power going through these.
- 2 x 10uF Electrolytic Capacitors: 10v+ just to be safe
- 1 x High Power 10mm LED: 10mm are best for this
- 1 x Breadboard: I recommend this one if you want to solder, or this one if you don't want to solder (RS option)
Breadboard: listed above
Step 2: Getting to Work
Ok. Now you have everything you need. Now what? This is the fun part. Place the 555 timer in the center of the breadboard, so it spans the gap in the center. Now, hook up all the components as shown in this video @ 6:20. Sorry I do not have more help for you on this part. Also, it may be useful to watch the rest of that video, mostly the part where he mentions pin numbering.
Step 3: Put This in a Pumpkin!
You've done it. You've really done it. You're done! Congrats. I'm happy for ya! Put this in a Jack O' Lantern. It looks like a candle, but it's less of a dangerous fire hazard!
- Even though the LED I used usually draws 50mA @ 3.4v, with this circuitry my multimeter set to max on the mA range says it only draws 6.69mA. That means this can be on for days with this setup. Have fun!!
- I have not tested this in a real Jack O' Lantern. Please, someone, do test it in one and send me pictures! I will feature them :)
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.