These are Halloween versions of a the [[http://www.instructables.com/id/Eggcellent-Night-Light!/] Eggcelent Night Light! and the http://www.instructables.com/id/LED-Ball/ LED Ping Pong Ball.
Step 1: Materials
- Egg(s) or ping pong ball(s)
- Needle/awl for hollowing out egg
- Orange Easter egg dye (or use red and yellow food colouring with white vinegar- you will also need a cup, spoon, paper towel and hot water)
- LED candles (I bought 3 flickering candles for $1.99)
- black craft or hobby paint
- black Sharpie
- fine paint brushes
- orange felt pen for colouring ping pong ball
- "pumpkin carving" design or template
- (finger)nail hardener or clear nail polish to make eggs a bit more durable
Step 2: Hollowing Out Egg
- Wash egg and poker(needle, awl etc)
- Gently poke* hole in bottom, and enlarge by delicately chipping around the hole.
- Poke hole in the top of the egg.
- Blow (don't suck) into the smaller hole on the top of the egg until empty, forcing the egg whites and yolk out of the larger bottom hole into a bowl.
- Rinse out the egg by running water into the larger hole and blowing out, repeat until water coming out looks clear.
*If you are having trouble poking through the shell, tap the top of the needle/awl gently with a spoon.
Step 3: Paint LED Candles
Painting the candle base black complements the Halloween colours of the eggs.
With a fine brush apply the black paint to the base of the candle, try not to get any on the flame. You may need to apply more than one coat to make it completely opaque.