loading
Picture of Spray painted patio chairs
How I painted some art chairs using Krylon spray paint.

Last fall I had some clients ask me to paint some old 50's style patio chairs in some animal print look. I decided on zebra and leopard and titled the pair "predator and prey".
 
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Strip and prime

Picture of strip and prime
chairs004.JPG
The first thing is to strip the old paint and prime the surface. I disassembled the chairs and took a paint removal disc mounted to my angle grinder to remove the paint, sandpaper and/or chemical paint stripper will work just as well, I then used my random orbital sander to smooth the grinder marks left behind and to sand between coats of primer.

Step 2: Painting

Picture of painting
At the point I had decided to do this instructable I had already painted the zebra chair, but it's pretty straight forward. I painted three coats of Krylon gloss white paint then masked off and cut the stripes using images found on the web as reference, I then  painted three coats of Krylon gloss black and removed the mask and painted three coats of  Krylon crystal clear gloss.

I then reassembled the chair and moved on to the leopard chair.

Step 3: Painting part 2

Picture of painting part 2
chairs010.JPG
chairs013.JPG
chairs015.JPG
I took the already primed parts and painted them with a base coat of gloss white followed by gloss pumpkin orange keeping in mind that the belly of a leopard is white and various shades of yellow/orange/brown up to the spine. I layered gloss khaki and gloss equestrian and gloss sun yellow and some more pumpkin orange until I was happy with the colors and gradations, there was also a little speckling where the paint had built up on the rim of the can and spilled off on to the parts, but I like the looked and it helped with the overall effect

Step 4: Leopard spots

Picture of leopard spots
I neglected to get photos of this step, but what I did was cut some holes in some heavy paper (you could use acetate also) like a shopping bag about an inch and a half to two inches for the spots. then holding the mask a couple of inches away from the surface I sprayed the gloss equestrian through the hole, this was done to confine the spray pattern to where I wanted it. I then took some more paper and cut 2 to 3 small elongated holes in an arc to go around the perimeter of the equestrian spots. using gloss black I went around each spot, loosely following my reference photos. I worked back and forth between the two pieces so as not to work on wet paint and smearing it and I used three different masks for the same reason as the paint builds up on the mask, so I would set one aside to dry as I used the others this also helps with the randomness.

Step 5: The Finish

Picture of The Finish
At this point I used Krylon crystal clear gloss and applied three coats, allowed to dry and reassembled the chairs, I then applied two more coats on the seats and backs and the arms of the chairs as these areas would see the most use.
bpickerill4 years ago
These are amazing! great job!
Nice job! I like the theme and you had excellent tips on avoiding commom paint-smearing mistakes in step 4. It is important to know what NOT to do as well as what to do.