Step 1: The Ingredients
- 3 sticks of butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 tbsp of vanilla extract
- 2 egg yolks
- 3 1/2 cups of flour
- 2 egg whites (about 3oz.)
- 1 Tbsp. vanilla
- 4 cups of confectioners suger
- Food coloring
- A seasoned baking stone
- A cookie press
- Silpat baking mats http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=11556167
Step 2: Mixing the Cookies
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl.
- Add the egg yolks and vanilla
- Then start by mixing in the flour 1 cup at a time.
Step 3: Making the Royal Icing.
- Place the egg whites in a high speed mixer or hand mixer and beat the egg whites for about 3 min on high. You want them to be foamy but not at the merange state.
- Add in the vanilla flavoring and beat again for a minute or so.
- Then 1 cup at a time add in the confectioners sugar. It will be thick when you are mixing.
- Add small amounts of water to the icing to thin it out. You will want it to be about the thickness of honey or molasses when you are done mixing.
- Divide the icing if you want more then one color. Add in the desired amount of coloring and mix well.
Step 4: Baking
Load your cookie dough into the cookie press or roll it out. press/cut the cookies out onto the baking stone/un-greased cookie sheets and bake them in the oven for 13 minutes. Remove them from the oven and let them cool on the baking stone/ cookie sheet for about 10-15 min.
Step 5: Icing the Cookies
These work perfect for Christmas cookie plates or for parties in general. Nice thing about them is you only have to make one type of cookie but if you make multiple colors of the royal icing it looks like a large variety of cookies when it is on a platter.