I wanted to humanely stop the squirrels from getting into my trashcans, which you can see that they actually chew through?!?!
Step 1: Supplies Needed:
Check out my video of how I did it and see if it could work for you. You simply need the following items:
1. Trash Can WITH LID of your choosing
2. A roll of wire mesh screen door replacement
3. A pair of tin snips, strong scissors or your preferred tool for cutting thin metal
4. Acceptable adhesive such as Gorilla Glue, Liquid Nails or an Adhesive Caulk Wear
5. Gloves so that when you cut the mesh screen you don't get tiny metal shards in your skin. Ouch!
Step 2: Cut Your Mesh to Size...
Lay your lids flat on the mesh and trace the edges with a marker. Cut the mesh out and place inside the lid. My lid needed a few slits cut in to make it fit well.
Step 3: Attach and Glue....
Add you adhesive and rub in with your finger to connect the trash can and mesh. Make sure you follow the direction on the glue label for safety and curing and drying times. Attach your lid and you have just humanely squirrel proofed your garbage!