Picture of St. Patrick's Day Chocolate Shamrocks
In tribute to Saint Patrick I've made green chocolate shamrocks. Who doesn't love chocolate?

Today, St. Patrick's Day, I passed these out to my friends. Next year I'll have to make more because even though i made nearly three dozen, I ran out in less than fifteen minutes.
Remove these adsRemove these ads by Signing Up

Step 1: Supplies

Picture of Supplies
-Shamrock shaped things. I made mine out of some scrap wood.
-Plastic, milk jug sides work great
-Vacuum Former. Sheekgeek has a cheap and easy was to make one How to Make Your Own Prototypes: How to Make Your Own Plastic Vacuum Former
-Heat gun
-Wax Paper
-White Chocolate
-Green food coloring
-Double boiler
-Spoon(s) and Knives

Step 2: Make Chocolate Mold

Picture of Make Chocolate Mold
Use your vacuum former, plastic and shamrock shaped items(more are better) to create one or more molds to pour chocolate into.

Again, check sheekgeek's instructable for great directions on how to form.

When I made my shamrocks, I doodled a decent shamrock on some scrap wood and went at it with the band saw. Don't cut yourself.

When heated enough to form, milk jug sides will turn semi-transparent. For a good form make sure the entire piece of plastic is heated until it's nearly sagging. The quicker you get the hot plastic on the former and the vacuum on, the better it will come out.

Step 3: Melt Chocolate

Picture of Melt Chocolate
Get your double boiler, or two pots, and fill the bottom with water. Put a handful of the white chocolate into the top. Once the chocolate has started to melt you must continually stir it. Add food coloring until you get a nice shamrock green, or however dark you want. Keep stirring.

Make sure you don't run out of water, it smells horrible and can ruin the pot.
How long did it take to make?
I'm Irish are you?
rogers236 (author)  cloverbird277 years ago
vwinstead6 years ago
I've used "Food-grade" silicone before in order to make chocolate molds. Milk jugs are obviously made of food-grade plastic, but does melting them possibly make them harmful to use in food production afterwards? Plastics are sometimes tricky when used as food molds and I wouldn't want to find out in a few years that I had been making "cancer cookies" this whole time.
necropolian6 years ago
hmm, this is something to celebrate here in belgium. another tradition to follow!
ItsTheHobbs6 years ago
Mmmmm.. I melted a bunch of white chocolate, and water got in it, so it was ruined, but I ate a 1/4 lb. block of white chocolate.
darkmuskrat7 years ago
Sweet xP thx for the milk jug idea
rogers236 (author)  darkmuskrat7 years ago
no problem. i actually think it was on sheekgeek's instructable
joey25426677 years ago
you should add peppermint extract.
kiwi207 years ago
if you don't eat these on st. patrick's day, you get pinched by Unlucky the leprechaun. (Lucky's cousin twice removed.)
Yum. Those look good, now I'm hungry for a chocolate snack! Great job!