Step 1: Ingredients and Supplies
- 1-1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1-1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg + 1 egg yolk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Candy cane, gingerbread man, Christmas tree, and mini Christmas tree cookie cutters
- Green, red, and brown gel food coloring
- Green and red hard candy (such as Jolly Ranchers or Life Savers)
- String, twine, or thin ribbon
Step 2: Make and Color Your Dough
2.Beat in the eggs (I set these out on the counter with the butter to bring them to room temperature too), vanilla, and almond flavorings.
3.In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, salt, and baking powder.
4.One cup at a time, mix the dry ingredients into the wet. Scraping down your bowl as needed.
5.Divide dough into three equal sections. Add a few drops of red coloring to the first section, green to the second, and brown to the third. Knead each section of dough until the coloring is spread evenly throughout. Wrap dough and store overnight in the fridge.
Step 3: Cut Your Dough
Step 4: Bake Your Cookies
8.Remove your chilled dough from the freezer and bake for 4 minutes or until the dough is just set.
9. Remove the cookies from the oven and carefully scoop a small amount of candy into cutout centers of each one. Set the cookies back in the oven for an additional 4 minutes.
10. Remove the cookies from the oven and use the pointy end of a toothpick or sharp knife to pop any large unwanted bubbles in the candy.
11. Let stained glass cookies completely dry before storing or stacking them.