Playing a lot of post apocalyptic games lately.
In the spirit of crafting from materials one might find around, here's a method to create a smoker from found, purchased, and repurposed materials.
Here is is in ACTION: GO SMOKER GO
Step 1: Cut the Steel.
This drum has a bung which I intended to use as the smoke entry point. The position dictated the sagittal cut position. mark out the lines and then using the hinges as a template draw in the holes for the hinges using a permanent marker.
Steel cutting disc and powered tool (either grinder or skil saw)
As in my previous instructable, a word of caution about steel drums. know where they came from and what they contained. fill with water before cutting. perform cutting in a safe location and where personal protective equipment.
After the steel is cut, file down the sharp edges before continuing.
Step 2: Hinges and Alignment
Drill holes and attach the hinges using the nut, washer, and bolt of your choosing. for this project I chose wing nuts initially because I knew I'd be taking it apart while framing it in.
metal drill bit
Step 3: Cradle Construction
The plastic bits were pulled out and the tops of the metal bars were pounder flat to make room for the drum.
Once seated, the drum was bound to the rack by drilling through the flattened bars into the drum.
A word of caution, take your time lining up and centering or you may create inadvertent tension which will make your clamshell lid not meet exactly. Ratchet strap can be used to ensure your work remains stationary while you work
Drill with metal drilling bit
nuts and bolts
Step 4: Add Smoking Barrel, Chimney, and Seal
I removed the upper smoke louver to place over the drum bung. then I took the louver plate inside the drum to create a plate for connection to the smoker.
Beneath the smoker drum, I built a small shelf using angle iron. I pounded out another piece to be used as a angle brace below the smoker. Once attached, the smoker had 3 points of attachment for strength and stability.
the small gap between the smoker barrel and the drum was sealed with fireplace gasket and adhesive.
smoking drum, 4" ducting and chimney cover
gasket and adhesive
drill and metal drilling bit
nuts and bolts
A 4" hole was cut into the top of the drum to accommodate a 4" starting cuff for the chimney attachment. the chimney was also acquiesce from the ducting section of the hardware store.
Step 5: Final Build
I still need to find a good, proper sized grill tray, but that's easy enough.
thanks for taking the time to check this out.