Introduction: Stand Up Arcade Controllers Using Adult Walkers
I need sturdy, portable stand-up controllers for my GameStation system. They need to be light enough that one person can carry both controllers and both standing bases. My dad suggested using walkers and that was a dang good idea so...
- 2 X-Arcade Dual Joystick Controllers ($130 each = $260)
- 2 Adult Walkers ($10 each = $20)
- found one on craigslist and one at Unique
- 16 3/8 in. x 2 in. Stainless-Steel Carriage Bolts ($.37 each = $3)
- 8 Stainless-Steel Ceiling Flanges ($1.40 each = $11)
- 8 Stainless-Steel 1 in. Diameter Split-Ring Pipe Hangers ($2.16 each = $17)
- Machine Screw and Nut sets (4 screws in each, $1.18 each = $5)
Total Cost: $316
Cost without controllers: $56
Step 1: Step 1: Cutting the Heads Off the Carriage Bolts
I couldn't find short threaded rods, so I had to make my own. I used carriage bolts because it would be easy to cut the heads off and have them all be generally the same length. I cut them with a metal-cutting bit on my Dremel.
This step was hard to get right and I had go back on each one and sand off extra bits which were making them difficult to screw in.
Suggestion: buy pre-made short threaded rods.
Step 2: Step 2: Drill Holes in X-Arcade Controller's Bottom
- Remove the controller bottom
- bottom is attached with six little screws
It's a thin piece of wood about 53cm by 20cm
- put together the flange/split-ring/bolt sets
- put them on top of the walker
- rest the X-Arcade back on top
- measure where the holes should be
- drill holes big enough to fit machine screws
pro tip: Use the first board as a pattern to drill holes in the second board
Step 3: Step 3: Attach Ceiling Flange to Controller Bottom
I added washers to my machine screw set because the board is kinda flimsy on it's own.
Screw in the carriage bolts and split rings once you've replaced the bottom on the X-Arcade
Step 4: Step 4: Attach Controllers to the Walkers
Now you're ready to put it all together. I put the screw-side of the split rings pointing to the outside so they're easier to get to.
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.