A Starbucks holiday drink, also known as Zebra Mocha, is so popular that it is now on the their menu. It is so good that it is definitely the one drink that always makes Starbucks ran out of coconut milk. Yep, have you try it with coconut milk? I heard it is really good with coconut milk, but I love to get my with soymilk. Starbucks describes it as “Silky swirls of dark mocha and white chocolate mocha fancifully combine in this blended coffee drink. Finished with whipped cream, mocha drizzle and all dressed up with a dash of dark chocolate curls.”
Sounds tasty? Well here is a simple recipe for you. No syrup, but just made with love and some extra twists. Don’t pay $4 for a tall size. Just check out the recipe and I bet it will wins your heart.
Step 1: Ingredients
- 1 cup of soy milk
- 1 tbsp of dark chocolate chips
- 1 ½ tbsp of white chocolate chips
- 1 pkg. of instant coffee (0.07oz or 2g)
Have little ones? Skip the coffee for a delicious tuxedo hot cocoa.
Chocolate Whipped Cream
- 1 cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp of powdered sugar (also known as confectioner sugar)
- 1 tsp of vanilla extract
- ½ tbsp of cocoa powder
If you want it to be exactly like Starbucks, omit the cocoa powder and just make a normal vanilla whipped cream.
Step 2: Mocha
To make the mocha...
- Into a clean pot, add in all the mocha ingredients.
- Turn the stove to medium high heat. Heat up the mocha and whisk constantly. Cook until all the chocolate chips are dissolved.
- Pour into a cup/ glass w/ or w/o ice.
You can serve this mocha hot/ cold or even add some ice and blend it into a frappuccino ;)
Step 3: Homemade Whipped Cream!
Homemade whipped cream is the best! There is no whipped cream that beats this homemade one, especially with a little hint of chocolate. Alright, I think I have convince you guys enough :)
You can store this homemade whipped cream in the fridge for up to 5 days or maybe more. I am not sure because my was too tasty, it was all gone within 3 days...haha
To make this chocolate whipped cream...
- Add all the whipped cream ingredients into a bowl and whisk until stiff peak form.
- Put your whipped cream into a piping bag or into a container.
Step 4: Don't Skip the Decor
To make it extra elegant just like Starbuck...
- Pour the hot mocha into a cute mug.
- Pipe in some whipped cream. Try to form a swirl to make it look extra fancy.
- Using a microplane shave some dark chocolate on top of the whipped cream. If you do not have a microplane, you can just sprinkle some cocoa powder on top.
Step 5: Serve or Enjoy
Now that is extra fancy and classic.
Enjoy it hot or cold. Don’t forget to leave me a comment/ picture of the one you make. I love to read your comments.
I am definitely not enjoying this mocha right now next to my tuxedo cat ;) This recipe reminds me so much of my cat that I should dedicated it to her...or should I not? What do you think? She is way too cute especially with those round eyes.
Check out the blog for read more about the story behind this recipe: https://medium.com/reciperemix/tuxedo-mocha-f09d72...
Step 6: Tips and Tricks
And of course I can't finish this recipe without a Tips and Trick section right?
- Dark chocolate chips can be substitute with semi-sweet chocolate. However, use only 1 tbsp of white chocolate chips if you do. Since semi-sweet chocolate is sweeter than dark chocolate, cutting down the white chocolate will help balance out your mocha sweetness.
- Feel free to use any type of milk. Most people order tuxedo mocha with coconut milk at Starbuck, but I prefer soymilk. Soymilk gives this mocha a nice nutty flavor, and it also helps balance out the sweetness.
- If you do not have a piping bag, you can make one using a gallon ziplock bag. Just put some whipped cream into the bag. Push all the cream into one bottom corner. Push all air inside the bag out. Zip it up. Grab the other three corner and twist it. Snip of a bottom corner and start piping out some whipped cream. Make sure to serve this mocha right away.
- If you let it sit out for a while, all the chocolate settle down to the bottom. Make sure to mix up well before serving it. Feel free to adjust the amount of white and dark chocolate chips to your liking. However, do not use more than 2 ½ tbsp of chips. If you do, it will be super rich and chocolaty.