Introduction: Stargate Scale Model
As a scale modeler and fan of the Stargate series, I really wanted a good scale model of the Stargate, but I couldn't find one. However, with the help of a good friend, we set out to make a scale model of the Stargate.
Step 1: Research
Like any good project, you have to do your homework. I scourered the web in search of every bit of reference material I could find. Also I took screen captures of the Stargate from the dvd. We used this to determine scale of the stargate and the base as well as colors and details.
One early decision I had to make was what version to make. The stargate from the movie has 2 distinct differences from the tv show version. I wanted my model to be of the movie version, but compatible enough to be a tv version so we had to make a few decisions on accuracy between the two. The movie version has an open top chevron and the the tv version is closed like all the rest. The movie version has engraved constellations, the tv version is raised. We went with exchangeable chevrons and engraved constellations.
Secondly, we chose one of the most common scales for model kits, 1/35th.
Step 2: Design
After making our choices on the differences between the tv and movie versions, it was time to design. I used a 3d program to scale up the stargate and to get a size and shape of the base it would sit on.
Once proportions were worked out I turned to a drawing program to work out all the details of the model and to break it down into parts.
Step 3: Prototype
Getting it right the first time would have been awesome, but it took about 3-4 prototypes to get to the final model. Some parts just were to thick or to thin. Others didn't look right and had to be redesigned all together. Here is one of our near done Prototypes partially painted.
We were also working on a base design and a dialer unit as well. Hence what you see in the picture.
I was luck enough my friend had access to a laser cutting device so we could cut parts out with precision. Without that this project would have been a lot harder.
Step 4: Molding and Redesigned Base
After getting the prototype completed, we used rubber latex and created a mold of the finished version. This way we could have more than one. Some time later I wanted to make a new base for it, much like the off world versions seen most often on the tv show. So I went back to my 3d model and created skeleton of the new base, then used sculpty to sculpt on the details by hand.
Step 5: Final Product
After making and pouring molds of the new base, here is the final product painted up as an off world version from the show. There were a lot of late weekend nights spent designing and redesigning parts, pouring rubber and pouring parts. But the time spent was well worth it.
I have to say, when I first started I never thought I could do something this cool. But with my bud Chris' help and guidance, we made one awesome kit!
We have a be nice policy.
Please be positive and constructive.